Automated Two-Way Texting
A Complete Guide for Sales & Marketing
Sales and marketing automation can eliminate repetitive tasks from your day-to-day, improve efficiency and accuracy, increase your pipeline of qualified leads and so much more.
When you integrate automated two-way texting with your internal processes and automated workflows, you open up all new possibilities that will give your team a competitive edge.
Have you ever...
- Spent hours on sales calls with leads who ended up not being qualified?
- Had a prospect sign up for a free consultation or demo who never showed up?
- Lost a deal because you forgot or got sick of following up?
- Wasted your day leaving voicemails for prospects who never called back?
- Went back and forth with a prospect figuring out a better time for a call or meeting?
- Been completely ghosted by leads after they expressed interest in your service?
Do you want to...
- Schedule more free consultations and demos
- Pre-qualify more prospects
- Confirm more appointments (and reschedule easily)
- Convert more leads from free trials and initial sales calls
- Collect paperwork from customers without the endless back and forth
- Stop having to remember when and how to follow up with leads
Automating the repetitive tasks in your work day allows you to focus more on the things people actually enjoy doing - like creating partnerships, closing deals, servicing your customers, creating content and exploring new ways to grow. In this guide, we'll show you the benefits of paring texting with automated workflows to complete tasks and run sales playbooks, and illustrate how to use automated texting to qualify and follow up with your leads.
What is Automation?
Simply put, automation is the technology by which a process, procedure or task is performed with minimal or no human assistance.
For this guide, we'll be focusing on a few types of automation: Robotic Process Automation (RPA) which is a subset of Business Process Automation (BPA). BPA is the technology-enabled automation of complex business processes. Think of RPA as the sibling of BPA, except it leverages Artificial Intelligence and software robots.
What is Automated Texting?
There's a lot more out there than texts blasts with website links you get from stores and politicians 😜
Like the name suggests, automated texts are SMS messages that are triggered or scheduled to send on their own. The most common kind of automated texting is a one-way alert (coupons, appointment reminders, marketing promotions, confirmations, etc) where the business sends a message, typically containing a link or other CTA outside of the conversation, and the user cannot text back. This overview will give you an even more detailed picture of the difference between the different types of automated texting experiences. While many businesses have seen early success with the one-way methods, the future of automated texting we are creating is more purposeful, useful, and beneficial for the customer and the business.
We believe that the future of automated texting is two-way.
What is Automated Two-Way Texting?
Mav enables businesses to have automated two-way texting conversations with prospects, leads and customers. Instead of static alerts, links and spam, the recipient can interact with an automated robot, text back and complete tasks in a conversation. This is a much better experience for the user, and much more valuable for the business.
Automated two-way texting adds external robot-to-human communication to your automated internal processes and workflows (BPA & RPA), like activities and triggers in your CRM. By introducing an interface to those automations, like a text conversation, you create something that more closely resembles a human process that interacts with your leads, and they can text back. The result is a "virtual team member," aka a robot that acts on your behalf and can have two-way text conversations with your prospects and simulate the process of natural human conversation, to complete tasks using SMS text messaging.
How Can Sales & Marketing Benefit From Automated Texting?
Automated texting is one of the best ways to incorporate automation into your sales and marketing efforts. With Mav, you turn manual tasks like lead qualifying, outreach and follow up, collecting documents and more into automated, two-way text conversations.
Programmatically trigger your SMS workflows
In sales and marketing, your CRM is your home base. Like the workflows you've already built in your process, Mav allows you to configure your two-way automated texting bot to send a text based on activities in your CRM 😱Plus, all of the details your texting robot collects from a prospect or customer during their conversation will be routed back to your CRM, so you know exactly where your lead is in the process.
Major efficiency gains 💪
This one is simple. Using automated texting to communicate with prospects and customers means you'll spend less of your productive time following up with customers and working unqualified leads. With the efficiency automated texting can give you, you’ll have more time to spend with qualified leads, clients and referral partners, and marketing and growing the business in new ways.
More value for your marketing efforts
You’re already marketing to leads on your social media profiles and website, advertising your business locally and online, why not get twice the value? By adding automated texting to your website forms, traditional and digital ads, leads are able to start a conversation and get a personalized response right away. There’s a 10x drop in lead qualification when you wait longer than 5 minutes to respond. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to convert inbound traffic, and improve your response rate at the same time with automated texting.
Every human is unique and does things a bit differently. For sales and marketing, communicating quickly with the same messages and following up consistently every single time is crucial. 44% of sales reps give up after one follow up, and even less run their playbooks the same every time. Automated texting ensures your prospects and customers will get the message you want every time and understand the business value. And, your automated texting robot will follow up for as long as it takes, for a fraction of the cost.
And much, much more! With automated two-way texting you can...
- Engage with leads and increase conversion rates by 112.6%
- Use a robot to qualify your leads via text, so you only spend time closing ready leads
- Nurture and direct your inbound traffic with personalized recommendations
- Automatically follow up with prospects who have missed appointments via text and find the best time for you to speak again
- Re-engage customers when you need additional documents or renewals
- Stop getting ghosted 👻 and finally find out if they're still interested
Automating your repetitive sales and marketing activities is a no brainer. Using automated texting to have two-way conversations, activate customers and convert leads is a game changer. Let's explore how automated texting can convert more leads and benefit your customers at the same time.
Automated Texting for Lead Qualification
92% of sales and marketing teams say that their main goal with implementing automation is to improve their qualified lead pipeline, followed by customer retention, and then lead nurturing. Let's see how all three of these work with automated texting...
How can automated texting improve your qualified lead pipeline?
Imagine if you never had to spend time working unqualified leads again. Automated texting makes this possible. Through a conversation, your automated texting robot can ask a prospect a series of qualifying questions and determine if they meet your criteria. The leads find out quickly if they qualify, right in the conversation. If they qualify, you are notified to contact the lead and take next steps.
Using automated texting instead of a traditional web form also speeds up the process, and delivers incredible value to your prospects by telling them if they qualify right away. Allowing them to interact with a robot also lowers the barrier for these leads. They have nothing to lose, only something to gain! This formula is a quick and easy way to grow and improve your pipeline. Instead of spending your time asking the same qualifying questions over and over, you automate the process with texting.
Here's what those conversations look like:
Automated Texting for Re-Engagement
How can you retain and engage with potential customers using automated texting?
When a lead comes *this* close to converting, or a customer signs up but never completes their onboarding, it can be frustrating. You may need supporting documents from them, or have follow up questions, but they seem impossible to get ahold of. Automated texting can solve this. How?
SMS is a persistent messaging channel. Persistent channels create users. This means, when a lead texts your automated robot, they are now a user that you can re-engage strategically at a later time. You can also recall information like their name or any previous information they have given, which is essential for customer retention. This is the key difference between automated texting robots and website chatbots. When a lead leaves your website, even if they interacted with your website bot, they are gone, and you cannot engage them again.
What does this mean for customer retention?
If someone drops off at any point during your conversation, you can re-engage them and remind them to continue. Many times, a customer is chatting with you and something pulls them away. Maybe they had to go into a meeting, hop in the car, or just got distracted, and they forgot about your conversation. Automated texting is smart. Your texting robot takes care of the reminders, and will continue the conversation with your customer at the exact point they dropped off.
Here's how it works:
Automated Texting for Lead Follow Up
How can automated texting manage your lead nurturing and follow up process?
Ready to Join #TeamAutomate?
Now that you know a few of the benefits of automated texting for sales and marketing, you probably have several ideas of how your business can benefit from running automated playbooks and automating your repetitive tasks like: filling your free consultation and demo pipeline, pre-qualifying prospects, confirming appointments, rescheduling and following up, and of course, convert more leads. We couldn't agree with you more.
Let's review what we've learned:
- BPA and RPA are the technology-enabled automation of complex business processes. The main difference between them is that RPA utilizes software robots or artificial intelligence workers.
- Automated texting are SMS messages that are scheduled or triggered send on their own. By adding an interface (like a text conversation) to your internal automated workflows, you can create a two-way conversation between your process and your prospects, using an automated texting robot. This would resemble a human process that interacts, or texts, with leads on your behalf, and the lead can respond.
- Qualify leads with automated texting and convert faster and better than a traditional web form. Ask prospects qualifying questions to find out if they meet your criteria and tell them if they're qualified right in the conversation.
- Re-Engage customers and leads who have dropped off at any point in the conversation with SMS, a persistent messaging channel that allows them to pick up right where they left off. Your website can't do that.
- Nurture leads that ignore your voicemails (because 95% do) with automated texting and bring them back to life. Continue to follow up in smart timing intervals so you can find a time to talk again, Day 1 or Day 58.
- Automating tasks and sales playbooks can increase conversions by 112.6%
And let's not forget, people love to text! It’s important to interact with prospects and clients the way that they want. It means more conversions, happier clients, and more referrals. Automation is the easiest way to take daily repetitive tasks off of your plate, and when your business starts texting, it gives prospects the convenience they want by making you available 24/7.
Not sure what to do next? Mav Can Help.
Mav turns qualifying leads, quoting, nurturing and following up into automated, two-way text conversations. Send personalized text messages and have conversations with customers and prospects at scale, follow up consistently and integrate with CRMs and 100s of other platforms. 🔥With automated workflows, Mav knows when to start texting and when and where to deliver your lead data.
Our playbooks turn daily time-consuming sales tasks into automated, two-way text conversations, and they're ready to run on day one.
Current ready-to-work playbooks:
- For Qualification: Qualify prospects and grow your qualified lead pipeline.
- For Quoting: Deliver real-time quotes directly inline to convert leads faster.
- For Follow Ups: Send personalized and timely follow ups so you can convert more cold leads and nurture your customers.